Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Free Meal Worms

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Free Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 pm

I have MAD quantities of meal worms... thousands. I have three cultures going and they are all over-prolific right now. I'd like to thin them out but hate to waste the worms. If anyone wants some, let me know. I'd be happy to give them away for free.

Anyone ever tried feeding them to fish? I may chop some up and try that unless someone cautions me against it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 pm

I would trade you for some,if you are in need of anything fish related?My colony is not so prolific,any tips to help a guy out?
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:00 pm

A few months ago we sifted through our old cultures and took out all of the beetles and worms. We put them back into flat plastic dishpans on top of about 1 inch of bulk wheat bran that we got at WinCo. We feed the worms mostly old halved apples or vegetables that are about to go bad. When the apples or veges are gone we add more. The cultures are in a room with average humidity that stays 70 degrees most of the time. Now we have three full dishpans that are each a half inch deep with meal worms. When you look at them, you can't see any bran, just white worms and a few black beetles. Never seen them so prolific before. I'm happy to share... you've been generous with me and others many times.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 pm

You the Man man.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:06 am

Have you tried feeding any off to your larger fishes? I was thinking about doing so after using tweezers to "Pinch" them to ensure they do not survive long. I have several medium cichlids that I want to try it with, I know last time I checked you had a electric blue jack and a synadontis.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm

On a couple of occasions I've fed the bigger fish baby meal worms. They gobbled them up pretty fast. Never had a problem. One time I pinched the head off a larger one and fed it to a large boesemani rainbow. It took him about 5 minutes to get it down but he ended up fine. I'll throw some in for my African cichlids tonight and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:12 pm

That is what I wanted to hear. Looks like I will be supplementing some diets here shortly. Thanks for the quick reply.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Free Meal Worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free Meal Worms   Free Meal Worms Empty

Back to top Go down

Free Meal Worms
Page 1 of 1