Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to keep cutting tools rust free

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kireek

kireek

How to keep cutting tools rust free Empty
PostSubject: How to keep cutting tools rust free   How to keep cutting tools rust free EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 8:48 am

How do you prevent rust from forming on your cutting tools? I take the time to rinse mine off with fresh water and thoroughly dry them.However,I still see rust development.Is there something reef safe I can treat the spots with?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: How to keep cutting tools rust free   How to keep cutting tools rust free EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 10:30 am

Much of the rust factor depends on the grade of stainless steel, surgical grade tends to ward off the corrosion well but even then there can be some rust developed over time. What I would recommend is after drying them to keep the tools in a case where they are not exposed to any moisture, maybe even go as far as to include something to absorb moisture in the case itself. As far as removing rust you can try some lemon juice and vinegar, basically acids will help to remove existing rust, there are a couple of rust removal chemicals out there that I am sure would work but I usually just use some lemon juice, elbow grease, and live with the little residual rust that does show up.
Back to top Go down
Tinsle

Tinsle

PostSubject: Re: How to keep cutting tools rust free   How to keep cutting tools rust free EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 9:13 am

I just rinse mine in fresh water and towel dry and that has worked well enoigh for me. The tools I have with the most rust on them are actually tools I rarely if ever use, I think I simply got a drop or two of salt water on them without noticing so they did not get cleaned off in time,now they have rust spots. Maybe I will try some lemon juice and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Reefman

Reefman

PostSubject: Keeping tools rust free   How to keep cutting tools rust free EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 5:18 am

All you need to do is keep your cutting tools in a jar filled with 100+ proof grain alcohol. this will keep them rust and bacterium free. Just give them a good rinse before using.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: How to keep cutting tools rust free   How to keep cutting tools rust free EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 1:28 pm

I never thought about that, I use alcohol to clean my cutters as well. Might give it a try with my tweezers and mini shears...Those are the hardest to dry out completely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to keep cutting tools rust free   How to keep cutting tools rust free Empty

Back to top Go down

How to keep cutting tools rust free
Page 1 of 1