Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Custom Aquarium lighting help

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jroy2010

Custom Aquarium lighting help  Empty
PostSubject: Custom Aquarium lighting help    Custom Aquarium lighting help  EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 2:23 am

Ok, so I am working on designing a custom "macaquarium". If you are unfamiliar, it's a tank inside of an old macintosh computer. Anyways, there are a lot of designs on the internet, but none that really meet the specifications for what I want. The most prominent design issue thus far is lighting. I need a small light source, that is powerful enough for live plants. I haven't located my mac yet, so I dont know much regarding size constraints, but I figured I would start fishing your brains now.

If you have any filter ideas, I would love to hear them as well.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Custom Aquarium lighting help    Custom Aquarium lighting help  EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 12:27 pm

SO first off I must say that is an interesting project.I have seen a TV turned fish tank but not a computer.Is it a ply board internal design thats water proofed?Any ways about the lighting,it sounds like you need it water proof or at least covered and moisture proof.With that in mind I would reccomend some of the LEDs out on the market.The first one that comes to mind is the marine land LEDs that are completely water proof , sleek and rather small by design.You could also DIY some LEDs and cover them with a small amount of plexi or acrylic,this is always easier said than done.The other option is a T-5 bulb with a sleeve or end caps to keep moisture out of the contacts.You could keep the ballast out side the tank to save on room and reduce heat but the T-5 bulb will still generate heat itself and in an enclosed "canopy"it can raise the tank temp.

Filter....I would go with and internal mini canister depending on how easily it can be accessed.If accesability is tedious then an external canister would be ideal.These are just a couple of ideas for you to ponder.Feel free to ask more I love DIY projects.
Back to top Go down
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Custom Aquarium lighting help    Custom Aquarium lighting help  EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm honestly thinking I am going to go with glass for the tank. If I can get the right Macintosh you will actually be able to see through some of the plastic casing, so ply would look ruin the illusion. I dont think the T5 will work because I dont want to have any components outside the tank (ballast), so I am going to research the marineland LED's. As far as the canister filters go, do you know any brands that make small ones, or can I make my own? I'm not sure about the accessibility yet. I think the top will be accessible easily, however, I think it will actually be hard to reach into the tank
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Custom Aquarium lighting help    Custom Aquarium lighting help  EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:05 am

Well if money is not an issue ,and I am sure it can be,then a nice ehiem canister filter or even a fluval would do nicely.Honestly if properly maintained most canister filters will work wether it be a cascade,rena,or one of the previously mentioned.these canisters will allow for easy maintnance of your tank without getting inside for filters and carbon while also adding flow.Now the internal filters work out pretty good too they just take up a small portion of a back corner.Many have spray bars you can mount up.You can even use a decent turtle filter wich usualy have a moderate capacity for filter medias such as carbon,phosgaurd,or zeolite.And as you mentioned you can build one pretty easily as long as you have a decent pump,food safe tuperware,a dremel and some creativity.The marine lands are not the cheapest lighting unit but they will serve the purpose you need and would be usuable in the future for many other projects.I wanna say they are about 45-50 bucks.
Back to top Go down
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Custom Aquarium lighting help    Custom Aquarium lighting help  EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:31 am

So i am looking on Marinelands website at the LED lights, and I dont see any submergible lights. Any hints on where I can locate small ones?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Custom Aquarium lighting help    Custom Aquarium lighting help  EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 am

sohere is the link to marinelands site with the LEDs http://www.marineland.com/Products/aquarium-lighting/LED-Aquarium-Lighting/freshwater-saltwater-reef-aquarium-led-lighting-system.aspx but under closer observation it appears that the white and blue LEDs only come in 21 inch wich is most likely way too big.For some reason the other colors come in smaller units but not the white and blue Mad ...I have the blue and it is really cool but not what you need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Aquarium lighting help    Custom Aquarium lighting help  Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Aquarium lighting help
Page 1 of 1