Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Using EMT piping for suspending light

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Higher Thinking

Higher Thinking

Using EMT piping for suspending light Empty
PostSubject: Using EMT piping for suspending light   Using EMT piping for suspending light EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:24 am

So this isn't the most aesthetic thing ever, but it works. It doesn't help that my light fixture, tank, and stand are all different colors.

I bought two ten foot 1/2 inch EMT pipes (2*$2.18)
A package of brackets ($2.45)
Screws (.98)
Pack of two eye bolts w/ nuts ($2.27)
Pack of pipe caps ($1.19)
4 feet of chain ($2.28)
Total: $13.58

Pretty cheap to get the job done. Plus it allows for the pipes to rotate to allow easy access. I got everything from Home Depot and man they helped out. I talked to the manager and got him to drill the holes into the pipe for me and also to bend the pipe with one of the pipe benders they had for sale. I walked out with everything ready to go except for measuring and cutting to size. He asked if I wanted him to do that too, but I had a hack saw at home so I passed. Anyway, here it is, hope it can help someone else.

Using EMT piping for suspending light AttachmentUsing EMT piping for suspending light Attachment
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Using EMT piping for suspending light   Using EMT piping for suspending light EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:34 am

i am digging the swing action.i get into my tanks all the time and they tend to have lights that get hot so i am thinking about ditching my canopy.at least during the summer.thiss looks to be the most afordable way.i do have aquestion about mounting the feet of the hanging unit.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Using EMT piping for suspending light   Using EMT piping for suspending light EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:49 am

that doesnt look bad at all, pretty cool...
Back to top Go down
Higher Thinking

Higher Thinking

PostSubject: Re: Using EMT piping for suspending light   Using EMT piping for suspending light EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 2:07 am

badxgillen wrote:
i am digging the swing action.i get into my tanks all the time and they tend to have lights that get hot so i am thinking about ditching my canopy.at least during the summer.thiss looks to be the most afordable way.i do have aquestion about mounting the feet of the hanging unit.
Pretty simple actually. Just used two screw in clamps for each pole. One screwed in at the top of the stand the other at the bottom. I'll have to show it to you later this week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using EMT piping for suspending light   Using EMT piping for suspending light Empty

Back to top Go down

Using EMT piping for suspending light
Page 1 of 1